Monday, October 22, 2007

Leadership dinner

The Portraits in Leadership Dinner held on October 11th highlighted friends of Messmer: students, teachers, and donors. Senior Justine shorter spoke about her experiences at Messmer and brought everyone to their feet!



By Justine Shorter (senior)

“Lord, bless me with the words to say and I will deliver your message.”

These were the words that rang throughout my mind as I prepared to give a speech for donors, supporters, volunteers and the Messmer community at the Portraits and Leadership Dinner.

A few years ago I promised God that if he healed my spirit and granted me some sort of emotional solace that I would tell my story to anyone who needed inspiration or proof of his grace. As a result, I was asked to present the Christen Faith and Leadership award to two of Messmer’s most generous donors. Unfortunately, they were unable to attend so I spoke about the love, warmth and support that make Messmer such an esteemed institution.

Confidence and calmness ideally ease the mind when speaking in front of more then 500 people if the subject you’re addressing is wrapped in passion. For instance my speech concluded with these remarks, which highlights elements pivotal to my connection with Messmer.

“When I think of Messmer I recognize the countless hours teachers devoted reading material to me. I acknowledge the students who walked me to my bus stop so I wouldn’t have to determine the distance of oncoming traffic by listening. And I appreciate the presence of God throughout the building, which continues to calm my soul whenever my life becomes submerged in chaos.”

If I can affect just one person with my words, then my purpose on earth will be fulfilled. Due to the gratifying reaction of those in the audience after the ceremony was over, I am confident that what I had to say impacted the life of someone in some small way - which makes the entire event sentimentally satisfying.

1 comment:

Robert G said...

For some time I have heard the name Justine Shorter and seen that name in the computer. At the Portraits in Leadership Dinner I was impressed to hear her and her thoughtful words. I was impressed by content and delivery.