Monday, December 17, 2007

A boxer among us


By Ashley Sartin

Competing in Canada, Texas, and Mexico is no big challenge for freshman Mukubi Sikisi. Since the age of nine, Sikisi has proven himself to family and friends by boxing publicly. “They enjoy it, but my mom can never see my fight. She doesn’t want to see her baby get hit,” confessed Sikisi.

When Mukubi first started boxing with his friends, yes it was a hobby, but now he boxes in one-on-one competitions. Due to his one-on-one competing he is now on a national level. “Last year, I ranked number one in the U.S.A. This year I am ranked number four,” said Sikisi. “I dropped because I didn’t go to the tournament because I injured my hand at regionals.” Because of the injury Sikisi has to go to physical therapy every week. The boxer does admit he was disappointed and knows he has to step it up.

Last summer, Mukubi went to Kansas City for the National Championships and earned his first National win. “Every time I box, I keep the recorded tapes of myself, ever since the age of nine.” He constantly boxes at the King Center and the United Community Center.

So many people have big dreams of taking their hobbies and making them a “career”, as does Mukubi, who wants to make boxing his career. “I have a great up-side in boxing.” This means, he has an outward style to boxing because he is left handed boxer. “Not many people like to fight left handed people, so I use that to my advantage,” expressed Mukubi.

One of Mukubi’s worst stories was when he was ten on his way to Minnesota. A kid named Kenny keep saying, “You’re going to lose, and everybody else is going to win.” Sure enough Mukubi lost, and everybody else did win. Now as he look back, he learns that in life you are not suppose to let people get to you; don’t doubt yourself. As he reflects, he realizes he let the boy get to him and settle in his brain. We can all learn from this as we go through life. Mukubi Sikisi enjoys boxing and sharing his experiences.


(Photo courtesy of Wisconsinboxing.com)

No comments: