Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Going Green



By Sable Harris

In this century the world has tried its best to stress the importance of recycling. “Going green” is the catch phrase, and it is hopefully not just a trend but a movement that will be around for a long time.

Television, radio, and all type of communication keeps informing the world about global warming and keeping the environment clean, but how many people actually take the time to listen to what they are saying? Freshman Jasmine Lowe does.

“My mom is really big on recycling and she hates seeing broken glass and bottles in the street, so she makes us clean it up and put them in recycling bins sometimes I hate ding it, but I look at it as I am helping my great grandchild.”

Lowe does not just recycle because her mom tells her to; Jasmine feels that it is good for the world to have a clean air, because there is too much population and harmful tings that keeps her away from the thins that she wants to do.

Many people who feel the same way that Jasmine does take sophomore Jesse Saphonphakdee for example knows that recycling and global warming is more then just saving the trees; his recycling goes deeper than that.

“I recycle because it saves me a little money. Many people don’t understand that recycling can go a little deeper than putting bottles in recycling bin. I recycle the paper I have. If I have paper that is wrinkled or has something wrote on it I will use it and get another assignment out of it, I mean, why waste money on paper when I can get something more valuable?”

Unfortunately, there are people who don’t recycle or that try to do their best but it’s not a top priority. Freshman Dazzire Hale thinks that recycling is good, but sometimes she just forgets.

“I don’t recycle, because it is not my top priority right now, and it kind of slips my mind. I want to but it’s not something that I can just do,” says Hale.

Global warming and recycling is really important and to get more involved contact Mr. Gottschalk in Admissions or any of the teachers and students involved in Messmer’s Green Team.

No comments: