Monday, March 1, 2010

School secruity








By Mark Thomas, junior
       The safety of students in the schools of Milwaukee is a pressing issue. As more and more students become involved in devious acts there is a need for punishments and the enforcement of security systems.
        There is a list of important guidelines schools must follow in order to prevent and manage school violence, reduce safety risks and improve school community relations according to the National School and Safety and Security services.



           Different schools require different types of security, which is based on past or chronic offenses.  Public schools tend to have more strict security policies than most private schools in Milwaukee. For example, the Milwaukee School of Languages requires students to have the book bags checked.
         “I see fights in this schools almost every week. If it wasn’t for the security and police being around the school all day I would not feel as safe as I do now.” States Marquis Carlisle, a senior who attends Custer High School.
       “I remember this school was bad when I was a freshman because I would always hear about Custer being on the news because some students were fighting. Now that I’m a senior I’m kind of used to seeing fights and I think the school has gotten better but it still has a long way to go before I actually start to call it a safe school.”
          Student safety in Milwaukee has been an ongoing issue but it is important to remember that providing more security or making stricter security policies will not stop some students from engaging in devious acts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is important to understand that "school safety" means a lot of things. People sometimes generalize about things like "I see a lot of fights here" when the truth is they may hear or hear about arguments, when in fact - they are not fights.

Messmer is and always has been one of the safest schools in the city. Having no metal detectors, guards or police is something that very few schools (public or private) have. The policies and enforcement at Messmer is swift and sure. It IS a very safe school.